So we are at the airport in Cape Town Already…..
….in 2h we can check in an then the trip home begins… what to say at the end???? Here is our conclusion
SOUTH AFRICA was AWESOME
– nice people
– great wildlife (not as much as in other Areas but for us it was great for the first time)
– very good to average accommodation.
– Very safe – we felt safe the whole time when you take the normal precautions. When you are a no-brainer and leave your camera or wallet unattended in a problem area it´s your own problem….
– Traffic – easy to go even when they drive on the wrong side 🙂 BUT always stick on the speed limits and stop at stop signs.. we saw a lot of traffic control and they even check speed limits on gravel roads in the national parks……
The Hotels we stay in our own ranking (the links at the names lead to their homepage were available):
1) Pezulu Tree House near Hoedspruit – great to sleep in a tree House…. Awesome experience and the food and stuff were first class….
2) Chrislin B&B near Addo Elephant park – very nice rondavels out of clay in a superb and quite area
3) Skeiding Guest House Farm – the Nguin room is very nice with a oven and Whirlpool in the room. The Stuff (Alice) was superb friendly & helpful.
4) Idle & Wild B&B in Hazyview – very luxurious when you are staying in the rondavels.
5) Mlilwane – Swaziland. Not very luxusious huts but great atmosphere and very natural – wild Warthogs and other animals on the area. And nice Stuff.
6) The Saffron House B&B – Salt Rock. Great rooms and Ian our Host was excellent. Very helpful.
7) Natanja Guest House – Centurion Pretoria. A normal B&B but very nice stuff and a nice & warm welcome when arriving in South Africa. A good start
8) Bradach Manor – Knysna. Great view over the lake when you have the lakeside rooms. Stuff is ok but a little bit unorganized. No contact in the eveneing available when you have questions
9) Knoerhoek Vinery Stellenbosch & Rhino Coast Guest House – St.Lucia. Was ok but at both locations the rooms are not good isolated against noises from outside. So when the place is booked fully u can have noisy nights and a bad sleep. The Vinery is in a more quiet area than the Rhino. At Knoerhook the food in the evening which is offered mon-fri. was great. Thanks to Lisl…. 🙂
10) Pretoriuskop Camp – Krueger Park – unfriendly Stuff. Bad food in the restaurant and we had to switch the room as chemicals were used in the rondavel we should stay in. When you are self catering and can cook yourself the food it seems to be a nicer place
11) Sweet Orange Guesthouse Capetown – very noisy rooms. You can hear everything outside your room. WiFi is not free of charge and beverages were the most expensive during our trip through SA. Stuff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good but this does not help when you have a bad sleep. The neighbourhood of Sweet Orange guesthouse is unfortunately also very noisy on working days with running generators or diesel trucks.
Will be go back to SA? Definitely YES…. But with less one night stopovers and more concentrating on one area. But to get to know SA it was a great trip.
Thanks for reading the blog and the feedback. We hope you enjoyed it.
Lutz & Corinna